On-Site C-BI Training & Coaching
Our coaches conduct on-site training and coaching tailored to the requirements of the school.
The training and coaching is based on Cognitive-Based Instruction (C-BI). This is defined as the effective use of evidence-based cognitive learning sciences to enhance student learning and achievement. Included in C-BI are the following elements. Our focus is to bridge the gap from the science of learning to the classroom.
Effective Learning Sequence:
- Rapid review of previous key learnings: using retrieval practice effectively to apply concepts and skills
- Learning Objective
- Articulating student success criteria
- Activate Prior Knowledge & Relevance
- Concept Development
- Skill Development
- Guided Practice
- Independent Practice
- Lesson Closure
Student Engagement Strategies and Active Participation:
- Lesson by lesson formative assessment: frequent checking for understanding
- How to use random non-volunteers
- White boards
- Cold call questioning
- Partner talk and collaborative learning
Effective Instructional Strategies:
- How to effectively deliver an “I Do, We Do, You Do” model (model, practise and apply)
- Partner talk / collaborative learning
- Pace and active participation
- Using Spaced learning effectively
- Interleaving of the content and using testing effect (retrieval practice)
- Using ‘dual encoding’ to enhance lesson delivery
- Retrieval practice : development of warm-ups
- Elaborative thinking – Purposeful practice
- Cognitive strategies to enhance memory and learning
Science of Learning: Study Skills Program
This program is an Introduction to understanding the science of how we learn and its application in classroom practice.
While this 25 week program is specifically designed to assist senior high-school students to develop effective study skills to enhance long-term retention in preparation for ATAR, the program can be applied to classrooms as a school-wide program utilising what we know from cognitive science on learning and memory .
- The 6 key strategies for effective study skills for student learning, retention and retrieval
- Creating and using effective retrieval practices as a game-changer for practice, consolidation and automaticity of knowledge (concepts, skills and strategies from short term to long term memory (surface – deep – transfer).
Understanding how students learn and how we can use this knowledge in our teaching
- How can teachers help students to attend to learning?
- How can teachers help students focus on what matters?
- How can teachers help students encode information in long-term memory?
- How can teachers help students to remember what they learn?
- Working memory, cognitive load and thinking
- Long term memory and encoding
- Remembering: Ensuring learning sticks through practice and retrieval
- Helping students organise their knowledge
Introducing the 6 effective strategies for students to remember what they learn
- Spaced practice
- Dual coding
- Concrete examples
Combining the strategies to boost retrieval!
Planning for implementation:
- Develop subject specific retrieval grids
- Develop subject specific study mapping to include interleaving and spaced learning
Develop strategies for classroom practice to improve encoding and using retrieval during the initial learning
”’Science or Reading (SoR)
This professional development program introduces teachers to the science of reading (SoR).
What does the evidence from psychology and cognitive science tell us about reading instruction?
What is the difference between ‘balanced language’, ‘analytical phonics’ and a ‘synthetic phonics’ program and why is it so important!
For a long time, no one knew how children learnt to read and everyone argued about what was the best instructional approach. But there is now decades of evidence on what skilled reading is and what is needed for every student to become a reader, not just the few.
This professional develop will delve into the science of reading, and identify the key practices teachers need to use to ensure all students can read. It will identify the areas where students with reading difficulties can be supported and give teachers the ‘what’ to close the gap.
It will introduce teachers and administrators to the Simple View of Reading: Theory of how children learn to read. It will outline the key aspects of listening comprehension ability and decoding ability.
Remote C-BI Video Coaching
Online Coaching supports teachers to modify instructional delivery to improve student outcomes based on data analysis
Implemented using the SWIVL C3 series, we support rounds of teachers for 5 week blocks using Student Centred Coaching. Student centred coaching removes the evaluative view of the coach to the teacher and is a coaching model to improve student performance and achievement. Through multi-camera video of both teacher and student, and voice data analytics, the coach and teacher identify instructional strategies that will enhance individual student outcomes.
Feedback is written and timestamped to the video. Comments are two way and teachers are able to ask questions, for further clarification. The school and teacher maintain ownership and control of the video upload and has Education Department clearance for cloud use. A 4-page summary of progress each term is provided
Direct Instruction Program Training & Coaching
We highly recommend Direct Instruction programs for students to achieve mastery in literacy and numeracy fundamentals.
Our fully qualified staff have received the highest level training in the United States and have extensive experience teaching and implementing these programs.
We are able to provide initial teacher training and on-going coaching and data analysis in the following programs:
Spelling for Morphographs
Connecting Math Concepts
Essentials for Writing
High Performance Writing
Explicit Instruction Training & Coaching
Our staff are trained in Explicit Instruction techniques by Anita Archer and Charles Hughes and experienced in Explicit Direct Instruction by John Hollingsworth and Sylvia Ybarra. We also utilize many of the strategies of Whole Brain Teaching by Chris Biffle.
We can tailor specific training or focused coaching in explicit instruction if required.
Gonski School Review and Planning
The highly influential Through Growth to Achievement: Report of the Review to Achieve Educational Excellence in Australian Schools, otherwise known as the Gonski Review https://docs.education.gov.au/documents/through-growth-achievement-report-review-achieve-educational-excellence-australian-0 will underpin school and system reform in education for many years.
As an author of the report and review pannelist, Michael Roberts has created a school framework to review current school practices and create a plan for the future which is aligned to both the Gonski review and the National School Improvement Tool.
Instructional Leadership Training & Coaching
Our expert coaches are available to conduct training for school leaders including specialized support for principals, deputy principals and curriculum leaders.
Ongoing coaching and evaluation programs are available to support school leaders.
Packages can be on-site or remote or blended according to needs.